What questions can you ask during the first consultation. We can imagine that there is a lot is coming at you if you have decided to undergo a cosmetic operation. You may still be in doubt and want to know more about the procedure and everything that comes with it. We are happy to help you with the following questions. Of course, the doctor will share sufficient information during the consultation, even without you having to ask for it.
Questions to and about the doctor
- What training did the treating physician have?
- Plastic surgeons are members of the NVPC (Dutch Association for Plastic Surgery) and cosmetic doctors at the NVCG (Dutch Association for Cosmetic Surgery). Of which organizations is the attending doctor a member?
- A doctor who has performed a certain treatment up to hundreds of times will probably make mistakes less quickly and be able to carry out the procedure to greater satisfaction. How often did the doctor perform the procedure?
- Has the doctor performed the surgery recently or has it been a long time ago?
- Can the doctor show pictures of treatments that he or she has performed?
- The ZKN quality mark is the most important quality mark when it comes to quality and safety. Which quality marks does the clinic have?
- It is important that not only the physician has experience with the procedure, but also the rest of the support staff. How often is the procedure performed in the clinic?
Questions about the procedure
- How can I prepare for the procedure?
- Which technique or method will be used to perform the procedure?
- How long does the procedure take?
- Where is the operation performed?
- Are there alternative operations to achieve the same goal?
- When it comes to an operation: where will there be cut and where are (visible) scars left behind?
- Where are any sutures placed and when can they be removed again?
- Is the treatment performed under anesthesia? Is this a local or general anesthetic?
- Can I make a choice when it comes to the type of anesthesia?
- Regional and general anesthesia must be performed by an anesthetist, while local anesthesia can also be given by another doctor. Is there an anesthetist present during the operation?
- What are the side effects of anesthesia?
- Is it possible to talk to a patient who has undergone the procedure before?
Questions about the recovery after the procedure
- Do I have a lot of pain after the procedure?
- Is there medication or another form of treatment for the pain?
- Do I have to rest for a few days after the procedure?
- When can I return to work?
- Is there clothing that I should not wear or should wear?
- Are there other restrictions that I have to take into account
Questions about complications and risks
- What real complications and risks can occur?
- How many patients are faced with complications?
- What should I do if complications occur?
Questions about the result
- When is the result visible?
- How long does the result remain visible?
- What are the possibilities if I am not satisfied with the procedure?
- Are there costs related to a possible follow-up treatment to improve the result or is this included in the price?